The Bare Road
The Bare Road is the ultimate basics lifestyle brand. Focusing on providing quality, classic, textured and long-lasting staples that can be worn forever, they are based in Byron Bay, New South Wales and the relaxed yet refined feel of this coastal town can truly be seen in their collections.
The Bare Road are all about sustainability and being ethical and do the following to help:
- They have worked with a group of workers in a small village in Bali for almost a decade and each piece of clothing is hand dyed and hand printed.
- They aim to keep dying to a minimum and use woven fabrics cottons and linens as much as possible.
- Off-cut fabrics are donated to workers so that they can make traditional clothes for themselves and the local village.
- They sea-freight the bulk of their shipments in order to reduce their carbon footprint.
- They are dedicated to small scale production because it helps eliminate the negative environmental impact and ensures that workers are not over-worked.
- They regularly visit the manufacturing team and know they are treated fairly, have good working conditions, and are paid above the minimum wage.
In addition, The Bare Road contribute '1% for The Planet' to the 'Take 3 for The Sea' non-profit organisation. This initiative started in 2009 and has a simple premise - take three pieces of rubbish with you when you leave the beach.
The Bare Road is available at:
And at various retailers throughout Australia
For a complete list of Australian fashion designers check out the Fashion Directory here.